The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has launched Pradhan Mantri Aadi Aadarsh Gram Yojana, aiming for the integrated social and economic development of tribal communities.
The scheme envisions the transformation of tribal-populated villages into model villages, fostering solid infrastructure and comprehensive facilities.
With special laws in the country’s constitution safeguarding the interests of Scheduled Tribe people, PMAGY addresses the social, economic, and political gaps in their communities.
Pradhan Mantri Aadi Aadarsh Gram Yojana
- Implemented by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, PMAGY focuses on developing tribal-populated villages across the nation.
- Recent amendments to the Tribal Sub-Plan and Special Central Assistance Scheme have rebranded it as Pradhan Mantri Aadi Aadarsh Gram Yojana (PMAGY) for the period 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- In 2022-23, 16,554 villages were covered, with an allocation of Rs 1927 crore, and 6264 villages were approved for implementation, including 3764 in Gujarat.
Objective of PM Aadi Aadarsh Gram Yojana
- The primary goal is the holistic social and economic development of villages selected under PMAGY, aligning with the needs, capabilities, and aspirations of tribal populations.
- The scheme aims to maximize the benefits of individual family benefit schemes of Central and State Governments, integrating tribal villages into crucial areas like health, education, connectivity, and livelihood.
- Transforming 4.22 crore tribal-populated villages into model villages during 2021-22 to 2025-26 is the overarching objective.
Pradhan Mantri Aadi Aadarsh Gram Yojana details
- PMAGY seeks to overcome obstacles to village development, targeting 4.22 crore villages (about 40% of the total tribal population) for transformation.
- At least 50% of the Scheduled Tribe population and 500 Scheduled Tribes in the States/Union Territories will be covered, ensuring comprehensive development.
- Each approved village receives Rs 20.38 lakh to address deficiencies in eight crucial areas, including road and telecommunication connectivity, education, health, and waste management.
Development is Essential for Nation Building
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi emphasizes the importance of developing tribal villages, ensuring access to electricity, gas, sanitation, roads, medical centers, income sources, and schools.
- Addressing the diverse culture, language, and history of tribal communities is crucial for their integration into the mainstream and all-round development.
- Despite being a minority community, the tribal population represents vast diversity, necessitating their inclusive development for nation-building.
Features of PM Aadi Aadarsh Gram Yojana
- PMAGY focuses on converting tribal-dominated villages into model communities, providing basic services and facilities for the Scheduled Tribe people.
- The Ministry of Tribal Affairs revamped the existing Special Central Assistance Scheme as Tribal Sub-Plan, aligning it with PMAGY.
- Till date, Rs 1927 crore has been released to the states, with approvals for implementation in 6264 villages, including 3764 in Gujarat.
Expert Commentary: “In envisioning Pradhan Mantri Aadi Aadarsh Gram Yojana, the government demonstrates a commitment to the comprehensive development of tribal communities. This initiative not only addresses immediate needs but also ensures sustainable growth, fostering an inclusive nation-building process.”